So I was invited by my friend (who is an editor for a zine in the UK) to write about how meat consumption is hurting POC and I think that is just so cool
They suggested that I not try to appeal to the animal rights aspect and I completely agree because people are less inclined to go vegan because of animals (cognitive dissonance and all that) THANKFULLY I have a very compelling argument for why humans- esp poc -need veganism!
The only thing i cant decide is whether I want to take the nice approach (How you could help POC by going vegan!) or the blunt approach (Here’s how you’re hurting POC by not being vegan!). Or I could just list some unbiased facts and go with the neutral approach, but, I don’t know. I can’t decide. BUT here are the unbiased facts:
- Meat consumption funds environmental racism:
- According to the United Nations and many other reliable sources; animal products, both meat and dairy, in general require many more resources and cause higher emissions than plant-based alternatives
- Meat consumption takes your daily carbon footprint-just for food-from 6.5(vegans) to 16(meat eaters). That’s 3,532.5 extra tonnes of co2 (greenhouse gas) released per year just by eating meat and 35,325 for 10 years.
- The meat industry is also responsible for 91% of deforestation specifically in the amazon that amplifies the negative affects of climate change. Also the parts of the amazon they’re destroying are the homes of many indigenous tribes who will lose their homes and/or be murdered.
- The NAACP has stated that climate change is one of the biggest killers of black/brown people
- Thousands of people died in Pakistan last month due to heat waves caused by climate change
- 60% of Africans say Climate change is the biggest threat to their lives (even more than terrorism.
- Animal agriculture is the #1 cause of climate change hands down
We don’t have to fund the murder of our people